This post is also available in: Italian
Finally Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 1 is now available and will add full VMware vSphere 6.5 support (version 9.5 was already supporting Windows Server 2016 and new Hyper-V version).
Be sure to have version 220.127.116.110, 18.104.22.1681 or 22.214.171.1242 before upgrade. After upgrading, your build will be version 126.96.36.1993.
VMware vSphere 6.5 support include all those features:
- Encrypted VMs support. vSphere 6.5 introduces VMs with encrypted disks. Such VMs can be backed up in hot add and network (NBD) transport modes only, with hot add mode requiring that the backup proxy itself is an encrypted VM. There are no limitations around restores, because backups contain unencrypted VM data (remember to enable backup encryption if that is a concern).
- VMFS6 support. vSphere 6.5 introduces the new VMFS version, and this update allows you to leverage advanced functionality such as Backup from Storage Snapshots and Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots for VMs with virtual disks residing on VMFS 6 datastores.
- Virtual hardware version 13 support. vSphere 6.5 introduces the new VM hardware version which increases some configuration maximums and adds ability to add NVMe controllers to a VM. This update adds ability to process such VMs.
- NBD compression. VDDK 6.5 adds ability to enable native NBD traffic compression. To control the compression level, create VMwareNBDCompressionLevel (DWORD) registry value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication key on the backup server with value from 0 (no compression) to 3 (best compression). Please expect significant performance impact from enabling NBD compression unless you’re backing up over slow or busy management network.
- New guest interaction API support. vSphere 6.5 discontinued VIX API that previous Veeam versions leveraged for network-less guest interaction for functionality such as application-aware processing. As part of vSphere 6.5 support effort, we have switched the corresponding functionality to the new vSphere API for guest interaction, so that you can continue using the existing product functionality with vSphere 6.5.
- New VM tag API support. vSphere 6.5 introduces new APIs for programmatic access and management of vSphere tags. With its support by Veeam, you can continue using advanced backup policies based on tags even after you upgrade to vSphere 6.5
And also are supported:
- Dell EMC Data Domain OS 6.0 support, including synthetic full backup performances optimizations, backup retention and health check reliability improvements.
- HPE 3PAR 3.2.2 MU3 support, including multiple API interaction improvements for added reliability and performance.
- HPE StoreOnce 3.15.1 support, bringning Instant VM Recovery to Catalyst-based backup repositories.
- Veeam Agent for Linux 1.0 support.
- Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.0 Public Beta (build 188.8.131.524) support.
Of course there is also the update 1 version of Veeam ONE (that also will support vSphere 6.5), but also an updated version of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365.
For more information see:
- Release Notes for Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 1
- Release Notes for Veeam ONE 9.5 Update 1
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 1.0 Update 1 Release Notes