The VMworld event is probably the most important virtualization event of each year. Considerations on why attend at the VMworld USA 2012 are quite the same each year (see VMworld Europe 2011 – Why attend).
This event is a great opportunity for training and information with a lot of sessions (and note that is possible watch at them also later), but I see at least two good reasons to attend at this kind of events (and not only VMworld):
- Networking: meet and know people is invaluable.
- Sessions: but you cannot follow all of them, and in most cases could be be better see them later (content become available for who attend at the event).
Of course there are also other reasons specific to the VMworld event:
- Hands-on Labs (HoL): they are great and cover the latest (or future) products. For previous years probably was one of the most important point… When on-line HoL will become available then probably you could plan to take the lab also from home.
- VMware vision: seems obvious, but the general (and not only) sessions are a good moment to see the VMware vision of the future also several years before. Somebody may remember the virtualization environment described for mobile phone at VMworld Europe 2009… now we know that it was the VMware MVP project.
- Because is a USA event: the USA and Europe event are not the same (note also that the European event is one day shorted).
- For the party and/or the band: maybe or maybe not… this really depend (see also this previous post).
- Exam discount (50%): for more info see the official VMware and VUE pages.