The VMware’s certifications of DT (Desktop Virtualization) series are specific for the desktop enterprise virtualization world (especially for View, the VDI product from VMware). Launched on Feb 2011, during the Partner Exchange, they have different levels (same as the datacenter’s certifications):
- VMware Certified Associate (VCA-DT) – Actually only VCA4-DT
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP-DT) – VCP4-DT and VCP5-DT
- VMware Certified Advanced Professional (VCAP-DT) – coming soon!
You can notice that the starting level isn’t the VCP, but the new VCA (no plan to introduce it also in datacenter path) and the final one isn’t a VCDX-DT but a more “simple” VCAP-DT.
Questions and answers
In the official site there are already several questions with answers (FAQ), but I add some:
- Are there any mandatory course for DT certifications? Actually no… The VCA-DT has no requirements and VCP-DT require to be already a VCP (note that VCA in no more required).
- When VCAP4-DT exam will be released? No info yet… also the beta seems that has not yet started… so stay tuned. At this point seems reasonable that there will directly a VCAP5-DT exam.
- When will be released the new DT 5 series? The VCAP4-DT is still missing,
but also View 5 is missing… so probably some months are still required (maybe at the end of the year onr on the starting of the 2012). The VCP5-DT has been released, but the VCA5-DT is still missing.
- Are those certification required for VMware partners (like is VCP cert)? Actually no… maybe for the specific competency… (but at this time is not required).