This post is also available in: Italian
As described in a previous post the Developer Preview of Windows 8 works on latest version of VMware Workstation, but not on vSphere (neither the latest 5 release).
But with recent vSphere fix is now possible, as reported by:
Disclaimer: VMware still does not officially support Windows 8 on vSphere, this is mainly for educational and testing purposes. Do not use this in a production environmentHere are the five easy steps to run Windows 8 on ESXi 5
- Download and install ESXi500-201112001 (patch02) from VMware patch repository. Build Number: 515841
- Create either a Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 regular VM (must be either of these guests)
- Edit your VM and under “Hardware->Video Card” enable 3D graphics support (this is required if you plan on running VMware Tools). You will also need to use e1000 network driver, VMXNET3 does not work
- Install Windows 8 using ISO
- Sit back and wait for the installation to complete.
The real package that seems to fix the Windows 8 installation seems to be the one described in the KB 2007671.