This post is also available in: Italian
It also include the new Blast 2.2 protocol (aka the HTML5 access) that bring some interesting in term of performance and speed and reduce the big gap between the PCoIP protocol (for more info see also PCoIP vs. Blast). For the installation and configuration procedure the notes in the post about the 5.2 View version are still valid.
VMware Horizon View 5.3 Feature Pack 1 includes the following new features:
- Windows 7 Multimedia Redirection – This feature extends multimedia redirection (MMR) to Windows 7 desktops and clients. In earlier Horizon View releases, MMR has been supported on Windows XP and Windows Vista desktops.
- Support for Windows Server 2008 R2 desktops – The Remote Experience Agent installer, with the Real-Time Audio-Video, Unity Touch, and HTML Access components, is supported on Windows Server 2008 R2 desktops. Other Feature Pack components are not supported on this desktop OS.
- Support for Windows 8.1 desktops – The Remote Experience Agent installer, with the Unity Touch and Real-Time Audio-Video components, is supported on Windows 8.1 desktops.
- Flash URL Redirection – Flash URL Redirection supports unicast as well as multicast to deliver live video streams in a Horizon View environment.
- Real-Time Audio-Video – Real-Time Audio-Video is supported on Horizon View Client 2.2 for Linux and on Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 8.1 desktops.
- Unity Touch – Unity Touch is supported on Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 8.1 desktops.
- HTML Access – HTML Access supports the following new features:
- Sound from the remote desktop (enabled by default)
- Copy and paste between the remote desktop and the client device
- Toggle between current resolution and full-screen resolution
- Toggle to high resolution mode on devices that support high density resolutions
- Windows Server 2008 R2 desktops are available via HTML Access.
- Windows 8 (32- and 64-bit) and Windows 8.1 (32- and 64-bit) desktops are available via HTML Access as a Tech Preview. You can try out HTML Access with a Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 desktop, but no support is provided.
Horizon View 5.3 Feature Pack 1 is supported on View Agent 5.3.x and View Connection Server 5.3.x.
Before you can upgrade the Remote Experience Agent from an earlier release, you must install View Agent 5.3 on your desktops. Installing View Agent 5.3 removes any earlier release of the Remote Experience Agent and its associated Feature Pack components. You can then install the current release of the Remote Experience Agent, which performs a fresh installation of the Feature Pack components. As a best practice, always upgrade to the current Feature Pack release to obtain the latest components, updates, and improvements.
Before you can upgrade the HTML Access software from an earlier release, you must upgrade your View Connection Server instances to Horizon View 5.3.
This post has already been read 623 times!