This post is also available in: Italian
VMware vSphere Storage Appliance was a software-based shared storage solution that enables high availability and automation in vSphere without shared storage hardware (for more information see this post). In 2014, VMware has announced the End of Availability of all vSphere Storage Appliance versions, effective April 1, 2014. All support and maintenance for vSphere Storage Appliance 5.5 will be unaffected and will continue to follow the Enterprise Infrastructure Support Policy. The End of General Support life date for customers with vSphere Storage Appliance 5.5 remains September 19, 2018.
In a previous post I asked if Could VSAN replace VSA? And in most cases could be true… but what about very small enviroments? With VSA was possible realize a cluster with only two, but VSAN require at least three node.
But do you really need a 2-node cluster? Usually no, but there are some specific user cases, like the Remote Offices or Branch Offices (ROBO scenario) where you may need some local infrastructure, and a 2-node hyper-converged solution could be great (and cheap).
“IT administrators in remote and branch office environments have several pressing challenges today, including: ensuring availability and uptime, maximizing server and storage utilization, reducing cost and complexity, simplifying and centralizing management and minimizing deployment costs,” said Gaetan Castelein, senior director, Storage and Availability at VMware. “By combining VMware vSphere Remote Office Branch Office withStorMagic SvSAN, we anticipate a robust and highly available solution that addresses all these requirements using just two servers, thereby minimizing hardware costs in ROBO environments.”
Also, VMware has improved the ROBO licences with also an advanced edition that is really rich, with most of the Enterprise Plus features! VMware ROBO has a per VM license (with pack of 25 VMs) and StorMagic has a per capacity license, so it’s easy pay on what you really need, in those cases.
For more information see also:
- VMware & StorMagic deliver a 2-node HA Storage Solution with vSphere ROBO edition next to VSAN
- VMware vSphere Remote Office Branch Office Editions Datasheet
- Introducing VMware vSphere Remote Office/Branch Office editions
- Announcing availability of VMware vSphere Remote Office Branch Office editions
- Introduction to StorMagic
- StorMagic Customer Case Studies
- StorMagic Real Life Use Cases
- StorMagic SvSAN Architecture Overview
- StorMagic SvSAN Deployment Demo
- StorMagic SvSAN Host Failure Demo
- StorMagic SvSAN Introduction and Demos
- StorMagic SvSAN Technical Background